Sunday, November 16, 2008

"Sunday is my game day." That is how my football coach brother-in-law once put it. I think the comparison works to a degree. I guess it makes sense to say his Friday nights are like my Sunday mornings. The entire week is preparation and a growing sense of anticipation until the moment comes and I step behind the pulpit (or at our church the sacred music stand) and preach the Word. It is always such an emotional experience for me and it's usually a mixed bag. I usually feel fear during the invitation because I wonder 'how bad I messed it up' that day. This feeling is sometimes compounded when I see no 'public' decision. I have to remind myself that I am preaching for God. On the other hand, when I first wake up Sunday morning until the time I begin my sermon I am usually excited and anxious. I can honestly say I love to preach the Word of God. Next to leading my family I believe it is the greatest privilege in the world. I just praise Him so much because He gives me that opportunity. This particular Sunday I taught from a number of texts about placing yourself under the authority of an accountability group. I challenged the men of our church to join me in participating in one such group. God clearly said, "It is not good for man to be alone." The Christian life is both vertical and horizontal. We need God and we need people. This next week we will have a booth in our church foyer for men to sign up. I was pleasantly surprised with the number of men (and women) who said they wanted to be a part. The group will provide a place to safely deal with sin, a place to be encouraged, and a place to cultivate biblical friendship. In the church we always want something with a book, a video, or a cool notebook (and those things are fine) but all God really desires from us are simple relationships. I believe that is where we are going together.

The afternoon provided a good chance to bar-b-Que with the Worley's. We grilled and I ate both steak and pork chops. I love meat and never pass up that kind of deal. Then we started watching Juno but didn't get to finish it. Even though we have seen it before we really wanted to finish watching it. It provided a few moments of laughter with our friends.

Then tonight we had our regular 3rd Sunday outreach/visitation. This is when we partner up and take a survey card into our neighborhood to find out about their needs and hopefully share the gospel. Our desire is to build relationships with those outside of our church believing that God specifically planted and placed us in our neighborhood. Chris and I attempted to make some follow up visits but no one really spoke to us. (We just got uncomfortable stares.) However, some of the others had opportunity to talk and one of our groups spent over an hour talking and ministering to a family. God is so good. He always provides us with those divine moments. I am so proud of our people. Most of them had never shared the gospel (especially cold turkey knocking) less than a year ago. Now so many of them look forward to the 3rd Sunday night of the month. They are owning this ministry as God transforms them and gives them a love for the lost. I know all of us are learning to look at people differently as we stand on their porch and enter into their home. God loves them and so should we. Afterwards we enjoyed some good chili (courtesy of Cindy) and fellowship together. Sharing the gospel and hanging out with my church friends---it don't get much better than that!

2 comments:

Whit said...

I really enjoyed the sermon today babe. I can't put into words how very proud I am of you...how the Lord is using you in mighty ways...and how honored I am to be along side you. I love you. Very proud you are blogging too! Knew you would luv it!

Courtney said...

Before I go to class I wanted to encourage you about your feelings you have after 'no public decisions'. I know you know this, but there are definately decisions being made when you preach the Word every time, because I know that every time I hear a sermon that the Lord wanted you to preach, I learn something and grow closer to Him. Unlike many people in our church, I grew up listening to all sorts of bible stories and subjects, but I am learing more from the teachings God gives you than I ever have before. It's because you listen to Him and He gives you that passion to tell others. I think you're a pretty good teacher/preacher and help teh stories come alive for me. Laterrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!