Twice this week the Lord has provided me with teaching opportunities. (I am certain there were others but I perhaps was just not perceptive enough to act or am not mentally alert enough to recall at this moment.) Not the 'stand behind the pulpit and preach' ministry but the Deuteronomy 6:6ff "teach the words diligently to your children..." type. God instituted a method for inter generational discipleship and evangelism. He told human fathers to talk about their heavenly Father to their children. In fact much of biblical fatherhood was wrapped up in sharing about God and His mighty acts in history with the family. It seems as though these moments come naturally at my house when I have time alone with Ethan. While Whit was gone to ladies study on Thursday evening Ethan and I watched an interesting program on PBS about the places of the Bible. The host decided he was going to begin in Genesis (along with a tour guide) and 'Walk the Bible.' He went to the fertile crescent between the Tigris and Euphrates where they believe the Garden of Eden lay and then up to Mt. Ararat in Turkey where Noah's ark rested and so on through the life Abraham. I am sure that some liberal filmmaker was behind the whole thing but it gave us time to talk. We talked about God and His mighty acts then and now. What is so amazing about kids is that you don't have to prove to them anything-- they just believe. Ethan loves the stories of Genesis and its exciting to watch him learn about God. The other privilege still awaits me tonight. Ethan has asked me to read a Bible I gave to him with him. While we usually read something from God's Word this is special because he took ownership and wanted me to read to him from 'his new Bible.' This will all take place, Lord willing, tonight as my wife takes a well deserved trip with her friends to the mystery theater at the Gaylord Texas. Then I hope to go to bed at a reasonable hour tonight so I can preach the Word to the glory of God in the morning. It's amazing how pastoring a church will change your Saturday nights (but will leave that to another day)!
One more thought and I will call it quits. Tomorrow will be an interesting service. As I mentioned in the last blog I am preaching through Genesis. However, I am taking a hiatus to preach on the issue of accountability. While the sermon is for everyone I am speaking particularly to men. I have realized this past week the increased difficulty in preaching topical messages opposed to expository ones. There are just too many good verses dealing with this vital issue. All I can do is trust the Holy Spirit to speak the right words. I am absolutely certain He has called me to speak in this area. I have watched a lack of accountability distract and deter many men from positions of spiritual leadership in their families and church. The purpose of this message is explain more clearly the biblical model and act quickly to place men under accountability. God has done great things in our men's life group but I know it's time for our men to pursue accountability relationships in small 3-4 person groups rather than offering just another men's study for everyone. Two passages come to mind. First, James 5:16, "Confess your faults to one another, and pray for one another that you may be healed." That can be practically and effectively done in a small group of men that truly trust and love one another. We all need people in our lives who will lovingly but firmly call out sin rather than just telling us it's alright. We need to know that others have been there or are there right now. It's truly amazing how many "one another" exhortations there are in the New Testament. The other passage is Ecclesiastes 4:9-12, "Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their labor. For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. But woe to him who is alone when he falls, for he has no one to help him up. Again if two lie down together they will keep warm. But how can one be warm alone? Though he may be overpowered by another, two can withstand him. And a threefold cord is not quickly broken." Just like they used to teach us in school about strangers that there is 'strength in numbers.' I know I need solid men to encourage me and to be straight with me. I cannot wait to see what God is going to do with the men who respond to His message.
Download Lagu MP3 Lirik Lagu- HAMPA ARI LASSO
7 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment